Race & Regulations
Rules & Regulations
The Garmin Ocean Lava Malta 113km Triathlon will be governed by the International Triathlon Union Rules of Competition. Link to the latest competition document can be found below.
Please ensure that you are familiar with these regulations to avoid any unecessary confusion or disappointment.
Athletes, at, during the event or while at event site must:-
- Act in compliance with these Competitive Rules;
- Conduct themselves in a manner that is not offensive in any way to fellow participants, spectators, officials or volunteers and is considered reasonable and acceptable in the community;
- Treat all participants, officials, volunteers and spectators with fairness, respect and courtesy;
- Refrain from the use of abusive language or conduct; and
- After violating any of the Competitive Rules, report such violation to the Race Director or retire from the event.
All participants are required to adhere to the following:
- Participants must cover the prescribed course in its entirety. It is the participant’s responsibility to know the course. Any violation of this section, even if no advantage is gained, shall result in a variable time penalty.
- Participants shall refrain from unsportsmanlike conduct, including the improper use of language or conduct directed toward an official, marshall, race organiser, or volunteer. Violations of this Section shall result in disqualification or a variable time penalty depending on the severity of the violation as determined in the sole discretion of the Race Director.
- Participants shall refrain from intentionally or accidentally blocking, charging, obstructing, or interfering with the forward progress of another participant. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.
- Upon leaving the course, a participant shall re-enter the course and continue at the same point of departure. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.
- Participants shall plainly display their race numbers at all times, and shall maintain the race number in an unaltered, unobstructed and readable state at the start and finish gates, in the transition areas, and on the course. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.
- Participants are required to wear the wristband provided during body marking and failure to wear wristband might result in disqualification.
- No participant shall use his body, head, arms, or legs to gain an unfair advantage, or to push, pull, hold, strike, or force through one or more participants. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.
- No participant shall leave any equipment or personal gear on the race course. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.
- No participant shall, at any time during the event, use or wear a hard cast, headset, radio, personal audio device, or any other item deemed dangerous by the Head Referee. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.
- No participant shall utilise any glass bottles or glass containers at any time during the event. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty
- No participant shall use any equipment which the Head Referee determines to be improper, including but not limited to equipment which might provide an unfair advantage or endanger other participants. Unless otherwise provided for in these Rules, any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.
- No participant shall commit any dangerous act which could cause injury to any participant. Any violation of this Section shall result in disqualification.
- Public nudity at any time during the event is prohibited. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.
Cut off time
Competitors have 8 and a half hours to finish the race, and cut-off times are applied to each segment.
SWIM: The swim course will close 1 hours, 10 minutes after the official start
BIKE: The bike course will close 5 hours and 30 minutes after the official start
RUN: The run course will close 8 hours 30 mins after the official start
Failure to comply with the ITU Competition Rules may result in an athlete being verbally warned, issued with a time penalty, disqualified, suspended, or expelled.
Please refer to Page 18 of the ITU Competition Rules Manual for detailed information about Penalties
This race is subject to possible Anti-Doping Testing by the National Anti-Doping Organisation (NADO). The organisers condemn the use of substances or methods on the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Prohibited List.
Additionally, the organisers condemn the use of substances or methods aimed at artificially enhancing athletic performance. The use of prohibited substances or methods or the use of substances or methods aimed at artificially enhancing performance, frequently referred to as "doping," contravene the ethics of both sport and medical science, threaten the integrity and dignity of the sport, erode public confidence in the sport, the local sports scene and the image of triathlon in Malta, while jeopardising the wellbeing of athletes.
Moreover, the use of substances on the WADA Prohibited List or the practice of artificially enhancing performance is against the concept of sportsmanship and frustrates the desire to conduct fair athletic competitions. Malta Triathlon Federation adheres to the anti-doping rules of the WADA, ITU and NADO.
It is the responsibility of each participant to comply with the applicable anti-doping rules, regulations and policies. The information regarding doping control can be found on http://www.sportmalta.org.mt and and http://www.wada-ama.org/
Markers will be put in place to indicate the entrance and exit of Transition Area.
Please note that only participants and race organisers will be admitted into the transition area.
Family, friends and supporters are prohibited to enter the transition area at all time, being before, during and after the race.
The Race Director & Transition Manager will take disciplinary action towards any athlete whose relatives disregard this.
This is being done for your own safety so your cooperation and that of those close to you is greatly encouraged and appreciated.
Transition Area Conduct
- All athletes must have their helmet securely fastened from the time they remove their bike from the rack at the start of the bike leg, until after they have placed their bike on the rack at the finish of the bike leg;
- Athletes must use only their designated bike rack and must rack their bike;
- The bike must be racked in an upright position with the front of the saddle hooked over the horizontal bar so the front wheel is pointing to the middle of the transition lane;
- Bike shoes, glasses, helmet, and other bike equipment can be placed on the bike;
- Athletes must not impede the progress of other athletes in the Transition Area;
- Athletes must not interfere with another athlete's equipment in the Transition Area;
- Cycling is not permitted inside the Transition Area: Athletes must mount their bicycles after the mount line by having one complete foot contact with the ground;
- Athletes must dismount their bicycles before the dismount line by having one complete foot contact with the ground before the dismount line;
- While in the transition area (before the mount line and after the dismount line) the bike can be pushed only by the athlete’s hands. Mount and dismount lines are part of the transition area;
- Nudity or indecent exposure is forbidden;
- Athletes cannot stop in the flow zones of the Transition Area;
- Marking positions in the Transition Area is not allowed. Marks will be removed and the athletes will not be notified;
- The helmet strap must remain unfastened in the Transition Area while the athlete is completing the first segment.
Refunds & Transfer Policy
- Unfortunately, Garmin Ocean Lava Malta 113k Tri does not offer refunds.
- Transfers from full distance to relay will be allowed under special circumstances and by not later than fifteen (15) days prior to the race.
- The responsibility of remaining on the course rests with the athlete. Any athlete, who appears to Technical or Medical Officials as presenting a danger to themselves or others, may be removed from the competition
- Illegal Equipment
- Headphones, earphones and headset, mobile phones or any other electronic listening communication device;
- Glass containers;
- Uniform not complying with the ITU Uniform Rules.
For detailed information on Rules and Regulations governing the Garmin Ocean Lava Malta 113k Triathlon please visit
- Participants certify that they are 18 years of age or older and have read these Conditions and accept the terms and conditions it contains.
- Participants agree and acknowledge that they are aware that a competitive Triathlon involves the real risk of serious injury or even death from various causes including exertion, strenuous activity, equipment failure, dehydration, collisions or incidents involving other competitors, spectators, other road users and/or vehicles, aspects of the course or bad weather conditions and other causes. Participants understand they should not enter or participate in Garmin Ocean Lava Malta 113k Triathlon & National Championships unless they have trained appropriately and had any health concerns checked by a medical practitioner.
- Participants acknowledge that participation in Garmin Ocean Lava Malta 113k Triathlon & National Championships will be physically demanding and are aware of the nature of the event and the associated medical and physical risks involved. Participants accept they are physically capable of competing in Garmin Ocean Lava Malta 113k Triathlon & National Championships and agree its officers, employees, agents, affiliates, sponsors or medical advisers are not responsible for any injury or illness that Participants may suffer as a result of participation in the Garmin Ocean Lava Malta 113k Triathlon & National Championships.
- Participants will inform the organizers of any form of any illness from which they might suffer from and that might affect their performance or be relevant if medical treatment is needed. Participants agree to abide by all race rules and directions issued with respect to the Garmin Ocean Lava Malta 113k Triathlon.
- Participants acknowledge that by reason of circumstance beyond the organisers’ control, it may become necessary to change the format of the Garmin Ocean Lava Malta 113k Triathlon and if that occurs, they consent to the changes and agree that each and every one of the conditions set out herein shall apply to the changed Garmin Ocean Lava Malta 113k Triathlon.
- Participants give permission to our Garmin Ocean Lava Malta 113k Triathlon & National Championships staff to make decisions concerning medical care and treatment, and where necessary to authorise such care and treatment in emergency situations. Participants understand Garmin Ocean Lava Malta 113k Triathlon & National Championships staff will make every reasonable effort, in the circumstances, to reach Participant emergency contact (if supplied to organisers prior to registering for this event). In the event that Participants’ contact cannot be reached in an emergency, participants hereby give permission to the licensed medical professional whose services might be required to provide medical care and treatment.
- By agreeing to these Conditions and entering the Garmin Ocean Lava Malta 113k Triathlon & National Championships, Participants indicate that they have the understanding and capacity to communicate health care directives for themselves and that they are fully informed and understand the full import of this grant of powers to our Garmin Ocean Lava Malta 113k Triathlon & National Championships staff.
- Participants are strongly advised to obtain personal accident and personal items coverage, adequate for the Garmin Ocean Lava Malta 113k Triathlon & National Championships.
- Athletes agree to abide by all Malta Triathlon Federation rules and regulations and shall not be entitled to a refund of the Fees if you are disqualified from the Event as a result of infringing these Conditions. Such event rules (including limits on the time taken to complete a section of the Event), may be initiated by us at our discretion to ensure the safe and proper running of the Event.
- Participants are aware of the time limits in order to complete the race which are
- SWIM: 1 hour, 10 minutes after the official start
- BIKE: 5 hours and 30 minutes after the official start
- RUN: 8 hours 30 mins after the official start